Friday, April 8, 2011

Bleeding for China

As part of our Visa applications to China we had to fill out health forms, including our blood types. Of course, although I've been in the medical field since college, apparently I never thought it was important to know my actual blood type. I thought to my self, "Self, what's the easiest, quickest, and cheapest way to figure out my blood type?" I know, I'll donate blood at the Red Cross! This way I can help someone else, figure out my blood type, and it'll be free!

All was going well at the Red Cross yesterday until I actually saw the needle. I'm sitting in the chair, tourniquet on my arm, squeezing the stress ball, and here comes the needle. Keep in mind that I stick needles in people at work everyday, no problem. This is the biggest needle I have ever seen! Apparently the Red Cross ran out of drinking straws, so they decided that a 16-gauge needle was the way to go. A 16-gauge needle is bigger than the thickest string on a guitar! So here's what I did... While the needle was going in I just imagined that a little man was sitting inside my arm playing guitar. Or maybe I was halucinating due to pain and loss of blood... hard to say. But in the end I must say it was a worthwhile experience. Anything that ends with free cookies can't be all that bad!


** Disclaimer: The Youngs fully support the Red Cross and its efforts.** :)