After spending some time on the beaches of southern Thailand, I have learned a few things that I wish I would have known before our travels began.
Lesson 1: Just because the food looks good doesn't necessarily mean you should eat it. Example 1, shrimp pad thai. This delicious meal consisted of shrimp pad thai which was wrapped in a "egg bowl." While devouring my meal I came across this little guy-- a cute little red, yellow, and green pepper. So far everything I had eaten was amazing, and when I dug out this pepper I assumed it would follow suit. So, without hesitation I popped it in my mouth, chewed it up, and swallowed it down. It took about 5 seconds before my head exploded! My face turned red, I started sweating all over.. this was by far the hottest thing I have ever eaten!
Lesson 2: Don't plan on eating breakfast. If you are the type of person who likes to get up and get an early start, you might as well just accept that you should sleep in and wait for brunch. We were a little baffled when we came back from a morning run and tried to get breakfast at 8:45, only to find that nowhere was open! We thought that maybe just the restaurants in our area opened late, until we saw this-- in case you can't read the tiny print, the Starbucks didn't even open until 8:00!
Lesson 3: There is a reason that places offer "aloe-vera massages. If you're going to the beach in Thailand and need some sunscreen, it is true that you can save a little money by buying SPF 10 instead of SPF 30. You know why?? Because the store knows that you will be back and they can make up the difference when you have to buy aloe! And trust me, it's no fun having to wear long sleeves at the beach because you thought that SPF 10 could get the job done.
Lesson 5: Take a moment to look around and realize how blessed you are and how beautiful God's creation is!

I see the picture of the pepper and think it looks like a wee little fish and want to scream, "Don't eat it!"
ReplyDelete