This past Saturday Allie and I attempted a half-ironman race! That comes out to be a 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, and a 13.1 mile run in succession, for a total of 70.3 miles. You may be asking yourself, "Why would anyone attempt such a ridiculous thing?!"... and you would have a good point. Why take a perfectly good Saturday and ruin it with something as crazy as traversing 70.3 miles in the rain?? Honestly, I would much rather spend my Saturdays like this:
Allie and I like to stay active and challenege ourselves physically, but this was one physical challenge that we weren't sure we could overcome. Originally we signed up for a race in September to give ourselves plenty of time to train. But, once we decided to move to China, we had to bump the race up to May, cutting about 4 months off of our training time!
As we parked our car at the transition area and began to unload our bikes I looked at Allie and asked, "Did you grab our water bottles out of the refrigerator?" Her eyes opened widely as she said "I thought you grabbed them?!" It was going to be a rough day....
The lake was still flooded so the swim actually began in the parking lot. Be careful not to scrape your hands on the asphalt!
My dad and brother were running a 5K in NC at the same time as my swim, so I just used my swim time to lift them up in pryr. There's not much else you can do to pass them time while swimming through the middle of a lake! After 43 minutes of swimming and getting kicked in the face I made it back to the parking lot! First part done, 2 parts left....
After a quick dry-off I jump on my bike and head out for the bike ride. Up to this point the farthest that we have ever biked was 35 miles, about a month and a half ago... and only 1 time. I head out with my 2 newly purchased water bottles, 12 packs of GU, and 4 cliff bars, hoping for the best.
About 8 miles into the ride I look up and see that I am rapidly approaching a massive pot-hole and don't have time to avoid it! I jerked up on my handle bars, jumping my front tire over the pot-hole... but the back tire still slams pretty hard. I hear a "thud" and look back to see one of my newly purchased water bottles rolling off the side of the road. Now comes one of those split second decisions that keep triahtlons interesting-- do I stop, pick up my water bottle, and walk my bike up the next hill because I've lost all momentum? Or forge onward, 48 miles to go with half the water I need? At this point I'm still feeling pretty good so I keep going. It's cloudy, not too hot, and the rain will cool me down, right??
50 miles into the bike the nausea sets in. My stomach is starting to shut down and doesn't want anything else in it. Doesn't it know that my race-day nutrition plan still calls for another GU pack and cliff bar before the run??? 6 miles later I pull into the transition area, nutrition plan out the window, feeling otherwise pretty good and ready for the half marathon.
The 13.1 mile run is broken down into 3 loops, with aid stations at every mile. The best part about the run is that I finally get to see Allie! We pass each other twice during every loop and can cheer each other on along the way. After a little over 2 hours of running I'm sprinting to the finish line, finishing the race 45 minutes faster than I was expecting! Here's a pic of Allie smiling as she crosses the finish line!
We learned a lot of great tips and strategies for triathlons during this race, but more importantly I think the Father used our experience to teach us to remain flexible in all situtations-- particularly our move to China. Don't get me wrong-- there's definitely value careful planning (we wouldn't have survived the bike ride without a nutrition plan)-- but you also have to be flexible and prepared once your plan falls apart (and your water bottle falls out at mile 8). We will make all the plans and arrangements we can in regards to moving to China, but once our feet are actually there in Hengyang we've got to be ready to be flexible. I think this is a lesson that will serve us well over our next few years in China!
"And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me. However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Father has given me-- the task of testifying to the good news of His grace." -- Acts 20: 22-24





You all are inspiring!
ReplyDeleteYou guys are amazing! Way to go... would you do it again?
ReplyDelete