Sunday, June 12, 2011

My Furry Children

From the desk of Allie....
About a year ago, I was sitting in church with my friend, Amanda.  The sermon that morning was about following a calling and I was having a 'GO' moment with the Father.  As the music was playing to end the service, I started bawling.  Two things you might need to know about me is 1) I hate crying, hate it..I see it as liquid weakness leaking out of my face and 2) (probably contributing to #1) I am a horrendously ugly crier.  So, I'm sitting in church surrounded by people filing out to continue on their beautiful summer Sunday activities and I, no kidding, am gulping between sobs to try and get a hold of myself.  Poor Amanda, she is trying to comfort me and asking what's wrong.  And this I believe is what she hears  "I (sob, croak).......gulp....am going to (sob again, nose blow)....miss....(another croak)....my dogs!"  Amanda is a wonderful, beautiful friend but as I am saying this to her, her face has changed from one of sympathy and concern to one of confusion and concern for my sanity.  This is probably because a year ago we had no actual plans to travel overseas. 

I truly believe the Father has been preparing us for this journey for a long, long time and as the time draws near to leave, I still cry when I think of leaving the monsters, but I know that He is with me every step of the way.  Even in the tears. 

Now, I am not naive enough to think that my love for the pups truly compares to the love parents have for their children, but they are my family and today's post is dedicated to my furry children, Mazer and Finely. 

Mazer, as a puppy, back when we thought he was part poodle


Mazer earlier this year when it snowed every other day.


He loves his tennis ball more than anything


  Finely is always ready to cuddle. On the bed....


On a dock...


With his brother...


They wake up with me in the morning to run, and you cannot say no to this:


I love them even when they do this:


They are my family and I will miss them so so much while we are gone but He has provided wonderful foster homes for them.  Mazer will be living with my folks in Arizona and he will be loved better than he ever imagined. Finely is going to be living with Kanhka and Olivia and their dog, Sampson, who are such rockstars I am a little jealous that he gets to hang out with them for two years.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that you wrote this! I'm going to Mongolia with ELIC in March and have two "furry babies" of my own. I'm in complete denial about having to leave them - mainly because logic tells me it's ridiculous to be wrapped around my weiner dogs's "pinkies". But I can totally understand your bawling :)

    ReplyDelete