Monday, October 1, 2012

Moon cakes!

From the desk chair of Chris...

Yesterday was a very important Chinese holiday known as Mid-Autumn Day. In fact, its so important that we don't have class this entire week (this week is Mid-Autumn Festival)! I'll admit, I still don't quite understand the meaning behind Mid-Autumn Festival. From what I've gathered its a time to go be with family, eat round things, and "admire the moon." And no, it's not just "looking at the moon"... I said that to one of my students in class and he was sure to correct me... they "admire" the moon. As far as eating round things, there's one very special Chinese food called a "moon cake." During this holiday people give boxes of moon cakes as gifts, although I'm pretty sure no one really enjoys receiving this gift :) Want to have the true experience of eating moon cakes without having to taste one yourself?? Check out this video!


1 comment:

  1. I want one!! But don't worry, a UNC Chinese student gave some to Lauren and I. Whew. Imagine my relief. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete