Today is our last day in Changsha as only a pair of adults. Tomorrow we fly to Bangkok, Thailand to hang out with Megan and wait for our baby girl. On Friday we had to go to the doctor to get our special medical travel form that says that I and the baby are healthy and able to travel. So we go to the hospital and they do a ton of tests. First up, fetal monitoring. It was a bit chilly because we got there early and there weren't multitudes of other pregnant ladies to warm the place up.
Second, urine test (no picture), baby measurements, blood pressure, weight, and consultation with the doctor. It's always nice to have a ton of tests done. But when the time came, Lucia (the english speaking nurse we work with) said, ' Ok, the doctor will fill out the form. It will say, 35 weeks, live baby.' I was expecting some detailed description of my health status and my wonderful candidacy for making it through the flight without popping out a baby, but no. Live baby. It's a good description. I never really thought of it that way I suppose. It's almost like I should have one of those stickers on my belly that looks like this:
So tomorrow we fly out bright and early. I am a little nostalgic about leaving Changsha, but if I am totally honest, I'd say I am nostalgic partially because I like it here, but also partially because when I come back I will be a mom and that freaks me out a bit. So I am nostalgic like a 5 year old child who doesn't want to go to sleep because she is scared of monsters under her bed. I am so excited to meet our daughter, but terrified of the responsibility that comes with it. It will be a never ending opportunity to be humbled and dependent on the Father. And who doesn't love to be humbled and dependent?!
So in conclusion, here are some of the fun pictures and experiences from the past few months.
33 weeks: I found a website called CrossfitMom.com and I love it. They are intense and I love them. This is me doing the squat and press portion of the workout.
Fun experience: Kicking the soccer ball around with Chris around the 33 week mark was great. They kept asking Chris how far along I was and telling him that I should be very careful. Not talking to me, just to Chris. When the pick-up game started I was off to the side and another friend of Chris's came up and seeing me in my cleats told me I should be very careful with the baby. Then he proceeds to take out a cigarette, lit up, and in the spirit of hospitality, asked me if I wanted one. I giggled inwardly and moved away from the smoke, instead of saying any of the snarky comments that floated thru my head. Who says I have no self control?!
Fun experience: I was doing an interval workout at the track earlier this week and after every lap I would do some wall push-ups and squats. Well, these two elderly ladies are walking and stop to shout something at me. I think they are telling me to stop but ever the glutton for punishment and in the spirit of politeness I take out my headphones and ask, 'what?' The motion towards my belly and then say something that resembled the number eight. So I say, 'yes, baby, eight months.' Then to my surprise, they laugh to each other, and give me a thumbs up! Yay! No clucking disapproval sounds but a thumbs up! I like these women.
Overall, as scared as I was about being treated like a leper in China for being pregnant, I have really enjoyed it. The Father has provided so much for me and Chris at every turn and I am excited to see how He provides in the future in Thailand and beyond.

You both are going to be wonderful parents! Can't wait to finally see that precious baby in a few short weeks! We love you! - Mom Y.
ReplyDelete