Saturday, May 12, 2012

All it takes is a phone call

From the couch of Chris...

"Victor is in the hospital."
"What?! Why??"
"Something is wrong with his eye, he can't see very well... Edward went with him."

This is the conversation I had with one of my students while I was on my way to play basketball this Thursday. Minimum information, maximum emotional impact. Since then, I have had many conversations with Victor as we are both trying to figure out what is wrong with his eye. Apparently, on Thursday Victor took his glasses off, and by covering up his right eye, he realized that the vision in his left eye had gotten remarkably worse than he remembered it to be. After seeing doctors in multiple cities, Victor has learned that he has some bleeding in his left eye.

The past few days have been filled with fear for Victor. He has been calling or texting me every few hours, asking me various medical questions that I really don't know the answers to. He's worried he will go blind, but he doesn't want to tell his parents about his fear because he doesn't them to be worried. Even through all of this, even though he feels alone, he would still rather keep it inside than worry others.

Allie and I have been doing our best to help answer some of Victor's questions, but thankfully Allie has an amazing friend (Gabi) who is an optometrist! She's been answering some of our questions and it's been humbling to see how thankful Victor is. The most humbling part happened tonight when I was talking to Victor on the phone. I'll admit, I was slightly annoyed talking to him, because he's be calling so frequently. But tonight God decided to check my attitude when Victor said "You know Chris, I want to thank you for helping me so much. Not just with the medical stuff, but I don't have anyone else I can talk to about this. I don't want to worry my parents or make them feel like it is their fault. And I can't tell my roommates because I will feel embarrassed and I think they will see me differently. You are the only one that I've been able to talk to."

Thanks, God, for reminding me who I'm here to serve. I'll keep you guys posted as we learn more about Victor's condition!


No comments:

Post a Comment