Wednesday, May 30, 2012

This is where it all began

From the over-sized armchair of Chris...

There are only a few weeks left in the semester and our cleaning/packing has officially begun! It is a daunting task, but it has also been fun to sort through our things and have some good laughs at the things we've collected. As I was cleaning out my desk today I came across a journal that I was using when we first arrived in Hengyang. It's great to have a snapshot of what was going on in my head when we first got here. I'd love to share it with you!

8/31/2011-- Weather: raining

We've been in Hengyang, China for several days now. Our apartment needs a lot of work, but seems to be coming together. Life here seems hard, but hopefully that will change as we live here longer. We cooked our first meal today-- took about an hour to make. 1 hot plate, 1 wok, and 1 hour later we had stir-fried chicken, peppers, onions, and garlic. We are completely out of our element, but are staying strong in spirit. Tonight Allie and I went out to dinner. Tried to order fried noodles, got noodle soup instead. Dinner cost 5 quay (less than $1.00) total. It is hard to be somewhere and be unable to speak the language. God give me patience. Give me strength. Give me understanding. 

Honestly, when I look back at that journal entry, I still have a lot of the same feelings today. We have gotten much better at cooking with the wok, and have adapted to life here, but still feel pretty out of our element. Thankfully though, I can say that God continues to answer my prayer. I still need patience, strength, and understanding, but God has grown those things in my life in amazing ways this past year. Life here may be hard, but it is definitely rewarding and fulfilling!


No comments:

Post a Comment