Sunday, March 17, 2013

There's green everywhere!

From the desk of Chris....

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone! Holidays play out a little differently here in China. For example, none of my students knew what holiday was coming up on March 17th, but they were sure did remind me last week when Ladies' Day and Womens' Day came around! On Ladies' Day all of the single women go out with their friends and have fun. The next day, on Womens' Day, husbands are supposed to do something nice for their wives. I'd like to think that everyday is Womens' Day in our household, but Allie may disagree :)

This St. Patrick's Day we miss seeing everyone wearing green! We wore our green today, but most of the population here does not. Instead, we've been seeing too much green of a different origin... mold! The damp/wet/rainy season is upon us and we are having a constant war against the mold forming in our apartment. When we went to Thailand to have Emerson I left some shoes on the balcony while I was gone. When I came back the mold had taken over!


I also left a pillow on the floor while we were gone. The top side of the pillow case looked fine but I don't think the side that was touching the floor will ever be the same. This picture is the pillow case after it was washed. 


This time of year there's only one thing to do... destroy the green! We have armed ourselves with bleach and brushes. We will win this war! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

1 comment:

  1. You make me glad I love in dry, dry Xi'an! Even I have mold up in the top corner of my bedroom wall but nothing like this. I will happily take my need to constantly apply lip balm and lotion, thank you very much! YUCK!

    ReplyDelete