From the desk of Chris....
Yesterday Allie and I both taught our first classes! We started our morning by catching a cab at 6:50 to the new campus. We got there around 7:10 then started our 15 minute walk from the campus gate to our classroom building. Here's a pic of part of the new campus:
The buildings on the right are dorms, our classroom is far off to the left. Just so there isn't any confusion, let me clarify what a "new campus" is like in Hengyang, China. The buildings look new with a lot of stone tile, but there is no such thing as air-conditioning or elevators. So keep in mind, it's about 90 degrees, we have just walked 15 minutes after our cab ride, and its time for Allie to start teaching. Just hope your fans work! It's ok to be sweaty if everyone is sweating, right?!
After she finished teaching we took a 40 minute bus ride back home, being sure to stop for Mango smoothies as soon as we got off the bus! I'll be honest with you... by the time we got home we were so sweaty that we had to hang-up our clothes to dry before our next class! I hope one day I get to shake the hand of the person that invented Febreeze!
Our afternoon classes were on the old campus, which thankfully is in walking distance from our apartment. We opened the door to head to class and it was pouring down rain! We put on all our rain-gear, grabbed some umbrellas, and started the trek. Here's a pic of the English building (the pink one) and a typical classroom at the old campus:
Asian college students are VERY different from American college students. I got to class 15 minutes early and they were all already in their seats! Classes are 90 minutes long, with a 10 minute break after the first 50 minutes. NO ONE left the class during the break! I tried to tell them to go outside, to go get a snack, but they just wanted to stay in class and ask the "foreign teacher" more questions. Even when I finished class a few minutes early and told them they could leave, they all stayed seated until I walked out. And there's the fact that they told me "not to be nervous teaching because they all want to be my friend." I could get used to this!!!



Congratulations on making it through your first day of teaching successfully. When does the weather start to cool down? Did Allie's classes take a break,or are yours just incredibly studious?
ReplyDeleteThey all sound just look you, Chris. And that's not sarcastic either. Diligent, prepared, excited. You've created mini me's.
ReplyDeleteI am jealous! Students that want to learn and be your friend. What an opportunity.
ReplyDeleteThe Morehead crowd today says hello.
Raleigh
Mrs. Volar: Thanks! Today is surprisingly cool, but they say that October is the best month. Allie's students didn't take a break either!
ReplyDeleteBrad: As long as no one introduces them to "Halo" they'll be just fine....
Raleigh: It has been great! We're looking forward to building relationships with them over the next few years! Eat a piece of that delicious strawberry cake from Root-a-bakers for us!