Monday, September 19, 2011

Sunday is the day of.... teaching?!

From the desk of Chris...

Welcome to another installment of "How Asian college students are different from American college students!" Here's the situation: due to some miscommunication with my superiors, I "skipped" a Friday class with my Freshmen. I was told that class was cancelled, but it turns out that it was not, and all my students went to class, without a teacher. To be fair, I figured that I'd give them the chance to have a "make-up" class if they wanted. I was thinking "Of course they won't want a make-up class, they're college students! Who wants to go to class more often than they have to?!" I did the "good teacher" thing and let the class vote, sure that I knew what the outcome would be. It was unanimous... but unexpected.... 100% of the class wanted a make-up class! And when did they want it??? 7:00 pm Sunday night! So I spent last night teaching my students, and even had some students from ANOTHER TEACHER's class that came and sat in!


 After I snapped this picture I had to stand there as about 20 students each came up and wanted to take their picture with the American teacher... and they made me sing them an English song. Just like college class in the US, right?!

3 comments:

  1. Since I had to sing to 95% girls, I needed a way to tie it back to my wife. I sang them the song that Allie and I danced to at our wedding, Sweetness in Starlight by Matt Wertz. It's a great song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have paid yuan to watch that. :)

    ReplyDelete