Monday, August 22, 2011

Another day

From the desk of Allie....

So C and I have been in Beijing for just about three weeks now and I feel like we are settling in to a bit of a routine.  I mean, as much routine as you can have being in a place where ordering food and paying for it on your own seems like a huge victory, one that C and I still high five over. 

We have class every day from 8am to 4pm and then we are pretty much on our own in the evenings.  These are often what get me through a day of class:



These adorable little koala cookies were around when I was little along with Dunkaroos.  It is a wonderful combination of sweet cookie goodness, marsupials, and just a hint of icing.  Now, I have no idea what they are called here, but I do know that they come in strawberry, cappacino (which is surprisingly tasty), and an elusive cholocate with vanilla frosting.  Also, please note the strategic placement of my notebooks and text books behind the cookies...just to prove I am learning.  Or I am at least sitting somewhere with books and cookies.

Today after class I needed some time to be alone with the Father.  Its funny that things I thought I had dealt with in my past flair back up now that I am so far away from my normal.  Well, not really funny, I mean our instructors warned us that this would happen but I always seem to think I'm the exception.  I am not.  So I took a long walk today and listened to the entire Sojourn cd (twice).  It was a breath of fresh air in a city where the white smog skies are the norm.


This is where I walked.  It is beautiful with lilly pads and small waterfalls and just a block from our hotel.  But I don't think I would want to swim in it.

So just as we are getting settled in Beijing, we have to pack all our things tomorrow so we can ship them on to Hengyang.  I am excited to have a home but I'm nervous too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment